Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Big steps

Yeah, it's been a while ... but lots has been going on!

Several big steps have happened in our lives recently. In chronological order, the first is that Danielle survived her 1L year which is a big accomplishment. It was definitely difficult, long, and tiring, but she really seemed to enjoy the things she was learning. The first year is supposed to be the hardest, but the next ones won't exactly be easy. What Danielle's really hoping for is there's enough time to enjoy and think about the things she's learning, not the constant rush just to finish reading that this past year was.

 


My brother Drew graduated from NDNU in May, it was so wonderful for me to be able to be there and celebrate his accomplishment. He actually finished in December and as part of his graduation present got to go on a trip to Madagascar with my dad, a little bit jealous ;-)

 


Most recently, I successfully defended my PhD thesis a couple weeks ago! It was a wonderful experience, and very nice that schedules aligned so Danielle could come watch (and take this picture). That was really the last significant hurdle in completing my degree, tomorrow I will file my thesis with UCSB which officially marks the end of my graduate studies.

So now Drew and I are both facing that open-ended question which many graduates ponder: What comes next?

Well, stay tuned ...
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Viet Kieu Chau Phi said...

Congratulations dawg! I didn't recognize you there with your tie and shirt tucked-in. And I thought the SoCal culture would permit one defending PhD thesis in flip flops and board short. Boo!