Sunday, 1 July 2012

tall ships and summer

This weekend - well, this week really - there are a number of fun things going on around our little part of the world.  First of all, from the 21st of June or thereabouts, New England realized that it should be summer and has been treating us to temperatures that are appropriate to that season. 

Yesterday, Joey and I went to the beach.  It was my first proper New England beach, and I can say the following about it:
1. It was giant.  Biggest beach I've ever seen.
2. It was crowded.  I think all of Eastern Massachusetts was there, along with some of New Hampshire, which is not too far from where we were.
3.  Good heavens it was cold.  No New England beach bathing for this lady.
Sadly, I can also say that we didn't take any pictures.  But if you'd like to learn more about the beach, the website is available here: http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/northeast-ma/crane-beach-on-the-crane.html

Today there was a reenactment of a battle that happened during the war of 1812, for the 200 year anniversary of that event.  So we went down to the Boston seaport to see it, and also toured some of the visiting antique naval ships that are here from around the world.  Happily, we did take pictures of that, and you can enjoy them too.

A line-up of ships along the wharf

Best picture ever taken by a stranger-volunteer

The ship from Colombia 

...and from Brazil

Joey, practicing his steering

A full-length view.

The End.

No comments: